The Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS) develops and operates cutting-edge, high-performance computing (HPC) systems as an essential service facility for science. The centre enables world-class research through its scientific user lab, which is available to domestic and international researchers in academia, industry, and the business sector. The centre is operated by ETH Zurich and has offices in Lugano (headquarters) and Zurich.
Operating CSCS’s HPC infrastructure requires robust observability services, high-quality datasets, optimized processes, and solid reporting development practices. These enable data-driven decisions, provide users with the necessary insights to optimize their workloads, and help maintain highly reliable services.
You will be involved in the following activities:
- Developing data products to observe the infrastructure’s status, health, and usage, such as dashboards displaying metrics and correlations,
- Predicting future resource consumption (e.g. electricity, storage, network, or compute),
- Operating and maintaining the data infrastructure required to deliver on the previous points.
To this end, CSCS has an open position at our offices in Lugano or Zurich for a Data Engineer.
As a member of the Data Warehousing and Data Intelligence group, you will contribute first-hand in configuring and maintaining our observaibility and reporting infrastructure, as well as identifying and analysing valuable data sources, discovering trends and patterns to develop descriptive or predictive models, establishing reliable data pipelines and high-quality datasets, and developing and maintaining data products according to stakeholder needs.
- Design, configure, and maintain observability and reporting services;
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify data sources, agree on functional and non-functional requirements, and design effective data products such as reports, dashboards, and alerts;
- Understand, analyse, and integrate data from different sources to develop appropriate models and processes;
- Design, build, and maintain pipelines, databases and data warehouses, while ensuring important requirements such as quality, reliability, security are fulfilled overtime.
- Stay updated with industry trends and emerging technologies in the field.
- MSc degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field,
- Experience with data warehousing and database technologies, data analysis and visualization services (e.g., Grafana), as well as with the Elastic stack,
- Proficiency in programming and data analysis, as well as with data modeling, data warehousing, and ETL principles,
- Proficiency in statistics and probability, as well as experience with machine learning techniques,
- Ability to operate services in a Linux or Kubernetes environment.
Experience with the following is preferred, though there will be opportunities to learn and gain experience on the job:
- Data related technologies (e.g., Spark, Kafka, Pandas, Jupyter),
- Usage of HPC systems and/or orchestration platforms,
- DevOps practices and tools.
Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
CSCS values autonomy, ownership, and continuous learning. Staff members have the opportunity to gain specialized hands-on experience through a variety of challenging activities typical of the HPC field.
- ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions.
- You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
- Remote working from Switzerland is available for up to four days per week.
- We value the diversity of our team and, to further enhance the diversity of our workforce, we particularly encourage women to apply.
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Motivation letter
- Relevant certificates and diplomas
To further enhance the diversity of our workforce, we particularly encourage women to apply.
We look forward to receiving your online application, including a letter of motivation, CV, diplomas, and employment certificates.
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about CSCS can be found on our website, www.cscs.ch. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Stefano Schuppli, Write an email (no applications, questions only).
For recruitment services, the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.