Research Data Manager (100%)
Research and Transfer Service
Research Data Manager
Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) is a young and lively university, a hub of
opportunity open to the world where students are offered a quality interdisciplinary
education in which they can be fully engaged and take center stage, and where
researchers can count on having the space to freely pursue their initiative.
Established in 1996, USI is in constant evolution, always taking on new challenges
while remaining true to its three guiding principles: quality, openness and
The Research and Transfer Service (SRIT) is the point of contact for researchers at USI
concerning national and international grants acquisition as well as intellectual property.
Moreover, it is responsible for the financial management of USI research grants.
To complete its team, the Research and Transfer Service is looking for one or more
Research Data Manager (100%)
Both at the senior and junior level
The Research Data Manager supports USI researchers in the management of research data
within their research activities/projects. In particular this includes:
- Support and advice in preparing a Data Management Plan (DMP) for research projects of
significant size (e.g. projects funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation or the
European Union), which raise issues related to data collection, coding and administration.
- Support in implementing the DMP, in particular with regards to the choice of platforms and
software, data coding (metadata) and data publishing (e.g. on digital repositories), in close
collaboration with IT service.
- Management of databases owned by USI (in particular for social sciences, finance and
humanities); encourage their use within USI resource center for research data. Support to
the administrative direction and the Pro-Rectorate for Research in establishing priorities and
- Collaboration in the implementation of an institutional Open Research Data strategy.
Monitoring of national initiatives in the field of research data management, in particular
Swissuniversities programmes and national infrastructure for data administration.
- Advice on data protection, copyright and confidentiality in close collaboration with the Legal
Service and the eLearning Lab.
The balance between these tasks will be defined based on the level of qualification of the
pagina 2 / 2
The ideal candidate must have obtained a Master’s in social or technical sciences. Previous
experience in research or service activities pertaining data management is of advantage,
particularly for senior positions.
In addition, good organizational and management skills are required, as well as good
communication skills in an academic environment.
- Ability to take responsibilities and to work independently in order to accomplish the assigned
tasks with high quality standards.
- Accuracy, care for details, quality driven.
- Good social skills, spirit of service, motivation to be integrated in a dynamic and productive
- Responsiveness, proactivity, problem-solving and planning skills.
- Context-awareness and suitable approach and interaction.
- Flexibility in managing different activities simultaneously, ability to adapt and to handle
workloads, stress, responsibility and complex situations.
- Open-minded, able to work in an international and intercultural environment.
- The following will be considered an advantage:
- Excellent command of English and national languages.
- Experience in research data management.
Priority will be given to applications from Swiss citizens or Swiss residents.
Working at USI
The administrative staff of Università della Svizzera italiana contributes to the smooth
running of the University thanks to cohesive teams and a lean organisational environment.
The dynamic and flexible environment becomes a motivational driver for innovative and
efficient management with a multicultural and interdisciplinary orientation.
As an institution that values diversity, USI particularly encourages applications from women
and from all individuals from underrepresented groups.
- Permanent contract (after trial period).
- Full-time (negotiable).
- Salary according to USI Collective Employment Agreement to be agreed depending on the
candidate's profile and experience.
- Hierarchical position: collaborator of the Research and Transfer Service, reporting to the
head of the service.
- Start date: upon agreement.
- Workplace: Università della Svizzera italiana, Lugano Campus.
Applications should contain:
- a letter of interest in which the applicants describe their motivation to apply;
- a complete Curriculum vitae with work certificates and qualifications;
- contact information of two reference persons.
Please send your application in electronic form to email@example.com. Applications received
in any other form will not be considered.
Applications received before 01 September 2021, will be given priority.
Contact person: Prof. Benedetto Lepori, Head of SRIT, 058 666 46 14, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lugano, 10 July 2021.