Tamedia is the leading private media group in Switzerland. The digital platforms, daily and weekly newspapers and magazines of Tamedia offer overview, classification and selection. The company was founded in 1893 and employs a staff of approximately 3,400 in Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Israel, Luxembourg and Serbia. It has been traded at the Swiss stock exchange since 2000.
The Engineering teams at ricardo.ch design, build and run on a cloud-native infrastructure, with a development and deployment pipeline that powers our applications and services. We work closely with the PM and Software Development teams to continuously improve our services and tools. At ricardo.ch we care deeply about creating an astonishing and engaging customer experience and this applies to engineers too. That's why we want the next generation of our API to be mind-blowing in terms of developers expectations.
Senior API Engineer
You will be responsible for bringing the ricardo.ch public API to the next level. Our external API has been around for several years, but we plan to replace them with a first-class developer experience. We intend to boost engagement and growth with our business customers and external developers by with a well-designed, documented, and supported API experience. This is API as a product experience.
Role & Responsibilities
- Design pragmatic and developer-friendly REST API endpoints
- Build platform infrastructure needed to power the public API
- Establish best practices on API design and usage
- Work with existing APIs and maintainers, and pull together a developer-focused product experience
- Promote APIs as a Product within the company, and to our partners and users
- Strong CS fundamentals
- At least 3-5 years experience in Software Engineering
- Experience building APIs, preferably for both internal and external customers
- Insane focus on developer experience and small details
- Excellent technical communication skills - documentation, presentations and remote calls.
- Fluent in English, German or French a plus.
- Strong engineering culture, empowerment and trust.
- Cutting-edge development experience - we use Kafka, Kubernetes, GoLang, React, metrics, dashboards, automation - we're always looking ahead.
- Working on a very popular product (90% recognition) in Switzerland, with strong customer interaction.
- Fun working atmosphere with attractive working conditions.
- Central office close to Zug main station with great public transportation.
- Co-workers with international background working with bleeding edge technology.
- X-Box, table football, sports offering over lunch.
- Working part-time is an option, remote only from a country close to Switzerland or France.
- Training budget available for every engineer.
- Weekly time for more free-form experiments and hacking.
- If you need a book, we buy you the book.
ricardo.engineering is the largest part of EPD - a unified Engineering, Product and Design department. We work cross-functionally, with around 6-8 teams active on different topics at once. We share a hackday-style way of working, with weekly public standups and demos, strong self-organization, and individual responsibility. With over 60 engineers, and three offices (Zug, Belgrade and the south of France), we work remotely well, and travel often. Together, we share in workshops, hack days, and allocate 20% of engineering time for innovation, learning, and experiments. Our culture is geek, our working style is agile, our mindset is collaborative.
Today, ricardo.ch is the largest online marketplace in Switzerland with over 1 million listed items and more than 2 million users. We aim to improve our platform, innovate, grow the marketplace even further. If you enjoy challenges at scale, high energy work, and are creative in the solutions you bring, then you will enjoy working with us.
Herr Joshua Devadas
+41 76 434 23 29