Research Engineer Intern, Computer Vision & Machine Learning, XR People (PhD)
The Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) organization at Facebook is helping more people around the world come together and connect through world-class Augmented and Virtual reality (AR/VR) products. With global departments dedicated to research and development in computer vision, machine learning, haptics, social interaction, and more, FRL is committed to driving the state of the art forward through relentless innovation. The potential to change the world is immense - and we’re just getting started. Augmented and Virtual reality will transform the way people come together to work and play. By developing new hardware and software products capable of understanding human appearance, movement and expression, we aim to make it possible for people to feel like they are directly in front of each other, despite being separated by vast distances. Our XR People organization in Zurich is focused on research and development of machine perception technologies from early concepts to production level across all of Facebook’s AR/VR products and surfaces including Oculus products and Family of Apps (Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, WhatsApp). We develop core capabilities across a range of product domains including Avatars, AR/VR remote presence / calling, AR Commerce, AR Sharing, and more. As a PhD intern at Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), you will be researching and developing state of the art computer vision and machine learning technologies for solving challenges that bridge virtual and real worlds and can impact billions of people. The ideal candidate is pursuing a PhD in computer vision or machine learning research fields, and is passionate about exploring and applying semi-supervised learning methods in the context of human body tracking. It is early days and we're looking for you to usher in the next era of human - human and human - computer interaction by solving these problems together with us.Research Engineer Intern, Computer Vision & Machine Learning, XR People (PhD) Responsibilities
- Investigate, design and develop novel computer vision and machine learning algorithms in areas such as segmentation, face tracking, body tracking, key point estimation, depth sensing, generative approaches such as GANs, 3D stereo and volumetric reconstruction, avatars, reconstructions and virtual try-ons.
- Collaborate with and support other research scientists and engineers across various disciplines
- Develop tools, scripts and tests to support your project.
- Document and present your progress and project.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Electrical and Computer Engineering in the field of computer vision, machine learning, computer graphics, or robotics.
- 3+ years experience in C++ and Python.
- 2+ years experience with building systems based on computer vision and deep learning methods for object detection, objection recognition, keypoint estimation, or segmentation.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by publications in top computer vision conferences (e.g., CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, or, SIGGRAPH) or journals (e.g., IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, International Journal of Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, or IEEE Transactions on Image Processing).
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- Research experience on prototyping and engineering in at least ONE relevant specialization area in Computer Vision or Machine Learning: generative models such as GANs / pose estimation and dense 3D reconstruction / object detection, segmentation and tracking / scene understanding / photorealistic rendering.
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or widely used contributions in open source repositories (e.g. Github).
- Ability to communicate complex research in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op.
LocationsAbout the Facebook company Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable support (called accommodations) in our recruiting processes for candidates with disabilities, long term conditions, mental health conditions or who are neurodivergent, and to candidates with sincerely held religious beliefs or requiring pregnancy related support. If you need support, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.