Senior Technician in Animal Nutrition
Publication date:03 Oktober 2022
The Nestlé Group is the world's largest food and beverage company with 92.6 billion Swiss Francs in sales in 2019. It is present in 187 countries around the world, has 403 factories and its 291'000 employees are committed to Nestlé's purpose of enhancing quality of life and contributing to a healthier future. Nestlé offers a wide portfolio of products and services for people and their pets throughout their lives. Its more than 2000 brands range from global icons like Nescafé or Nespresso to local favourites. Company performance is driven by its Nutrition, Health and Wellness strategy. Nestlé is based in the Swiss town of Vevey where it was founded more than 150 years ago. Learn more about our Group and reasons to join us on www.nestle.com
Senior Technician in Animal Nutrition
Location: Nestlé Research, Lausanne, Switzerland
Company: Société des Produits Nestlé S.A.
Act. Rate: Full-Time Act. Rate 100%
Type of contract: Permanent contract
Duty pattern: requires some flexibility for work exceptionally on few weekends or early morning starts.
Genuine opportunities for career and personal development
Modern "smart office" locations providing agile & collaborative workspaces
Dynamic international working environment
Attractive additional benefits
Nestlé Research is based in Lausanne, Switzerland, employs approximately 1000 people and is comprised of five Nestlé Institutes: Material Sciences; Health Sciences, Food Safety & Analytical Sciences, Packaging Sciences and Agricultural Sciences. Please have a tour of our facilities using this link or read more about Nestlé Research at our website. Please follow us on Nestlé R&D on LinkedIn.
As a Senior Technician in Animal Nutrition, you will perform experimental laboratory work and support the organization and management of the NIAS Animal Nutrition labs to support research and business projects, as well as concept development for the Animal Sciences department.
We offer a dynamic, inclusive, and international working environment with many opportunities across different companies, functions, and regions. Don't miss the opportunity to join us and work with different teams in an agile and diverse context.
A Day in the Life of a Senior Technician in Animal Nutrition
- Conduct anaerobic in vitro assays (such as static batch culture systems and dual-flow continuous culture systems), monitoring the incubation conditions and reporting results on fermentation profile, gas production kinetics, nitrogen metabolism, nutrient digestibility, and ruminal microbiology parameters, using ruminal fluid and cattle manure as inoculum
- Support scientists in the development, validation, and optimization of in vitro assays in anaerobic conditions (anoxic and highly reduced environments) as well as in the development and validation of methods for ruminal microbiology assays
- Routinely maintain and calibrate laboratory equipment (e.g., Gas Chromatograph and Micro Gas Chromatograph, Dual-Flow Continuous Culture System, ANKOM RF Gas Production System, etc.), conducting quality checks and keeping records on instruments and equipment conditions
- Actively participate in data analyses as well as writing of internal reports, patents, and scientific publications
- Present data at group and department level
- Support scientists in the development of digital and physical records of laboratory protocols, experiments, raw data, and results
- Maintain and update the laboratory protocols, keep a record of reagents and safety data sheets and instructions on their safe use
- Maintain the general organization of the laboratories, monitoring stocks and managing orders for equipment and consumables
What will make you successful
- Master degree in Animal Sciences, Ruminant Nutrition or Dairy Sciences with deep experience in Ruminant Nutrition and/or Ruminal Microbiology
- Minimum 5-7 years of research experience in Animal Sciences using ruminants as animal model (experience using in vitro and ex vivo models is highly desired)
- Experience in Laboratory Management is highly desired
- Strong experience in successfully conducting experiments under anaerobic conditions using in vitro batch culture systems and dual-flow continuous culture systems
- Basic knowledge in microbiology (sampling of microbial cells following Standard Operating Procedures related to anaerobic work, determination of efficiency of microbial protein synthesis and microbial efficiency of nitrogen utilization using markers, etc.)
- Knowledge in Gas Chromatography and Wet and Analytical Chemistry is required, knowledge in Mass Spectrometry is a plus
- Dynamic, well organized, efficient in the use of time and a team worker
- Fluent in English (French and/or Spanish is a plus)
- Driver's license (or ability to drive and get a Swiss driver's license)
Avenue Nestlé 55 1800 Vevey