Syngenta is a leading company in agricultural chemistry helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to help increase crop productivity, protect the environment and improve health and quality of life.
We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
We work in a collaborative and inspiring culture where personal contribution is rewarded and growth and development are at the heart of our culture.
Mass Spectrometry Specialist in Analytical Development
In our global Analytical Development function you will be given an exciting opportunity to provide expertise in solving demanding structure elucidations to enable our R&D function to build an understanding of chemical reactions, degradation pathways and the chemical profile of our products.
Within our laboratory you will:
- Design and implement MS analytical strategies to suit the needs of current product development projects
- Use state-of-the-art high resolution mass spectrometry and the latest software technology to solve challenging analytical questions
- Interpret MS data to perform structure elucidations of unknown compound in reaction masses, technical grade active ingredients and final products
- Advise on, and perform appropriate analytical experiments required to answer structure elucidation questions
- Integrate data from multiple sources, and advise users of its implications
- Contribute input to project teams & interpret results for use by project teams
- Develop and apply a variety of quantitative methodologies
- Independently identify experimental techniques and develop methods to meet project objectives
- Keep abreast of technological advances in mass spectrometry, chromatography, data processing and informatics systems.
- Work flexibly within the team to maintain instruments, propose and implement improvements to optimize the capability and capacity of our systems
- Strong theoretical understanding of MS of small molecules and ideally several years practical experience optimizing instrumental performance in an industrial or postgraduate environment
- Established knowledge of the acquisition and interpretation of MS data of challenging small molecules
- An understanding of chemical structures is essential and a grasp of synthetic chemistry mechanisms is imperative
- Strong desire and ability to learn/develop new skills and maintain current awareness of spectroscopic science
- Ability to work as part of a team to integrate data from multiple sources to solve demanding structural challenges
- Ability to deliver to tight deadlines, prioritize between different work demands and being result oriented
- At least 5 years work experience in the application of mass spectrometry to the determination of small molecule chemical structures
- MSc university degree / Fachhochschulabschluss / Chemielaborant Ausbildung
- Knowledge and experience of liquid chromatography and LC-MS method development
What we offer:
- A position which has the potential to contribute to valuable and impactful work, in a stimulating and international environment -> #bringingplantpotentialtolife
- Flat hierarchy and an open and collaborative working environment
- The opportunity to work with and learn from highly qualified and experienced employees
- An attractive benefits package
- Good opportunities for personal development and career progression
- Well-equipped analytical laboratories
- Interested? We are looking forward for your application in English or German!