Through delegation from the Medical Leader and based on the roadmap established for the period, the Medical Adviser develops medico-operational solutions requiring specific medical skills and/or in-depth investment, answering to recognized needs set in the medical ambitions: Women’s and Children’s Health – Nutrition, Vaccination, Preventive Strategies, Reproductive Health, Paediatrics, Nursing that perspective, he/she is proactively monitoring emerging scientific and medical issues that might shape OCG medical practices and ambitions.
T he Medical Adviser is responsible and accountable for achievements of the objectives for his/her domain of expertise and to this aim:
Responds to complex and technical issues requiring expertise or/and development:
- Answer to direct clinical questions from the field if identified as the best medical expert in a timely and concerted manner.
- Develop solutions (e.g. protocols, simplified algorithms, syndrome approach, training modules, minimum standards, innovative tools, guidelines, checklists and kits as appropriate) that are timely, relevant, contextual, concerted, consolidated and consistent.
- Translate medico operational requests in projects: provide analysis and advice to improve the requirements relevance, Term of References, objectives, deliverables, planning, implementation phases, contributors (HQ, regional, partnerships), definition, and project committee and risks definition.
- Lead or animate thematic forums/collaborative platforms and medical seminars, contribution to transversal projects.
- Field visits to introduce and/or field proof guidelines, policies, tools.
- Write medical reports on all achievements for his/her projects and domain of expertise.
- Validates the technical content of medical information submitted by the Communication Department.
- Participates in the design, writing and review of medical articles submitted by field teams.
Supports Medico Operations Support Unit and Medical Polyvalent Responsible with regards to complex technical issues linked to their domain and with strategic and programmatic advice:
- Answers to questions and provides feedback on proposals, reports and relevant documents needing specific technical input
- Involvement in project definition regarding technical medical issues
- Participation in assessments and surveys
- Development of proposals for medico-operational strategies on critical challenges.
- Follows up data and reports on his/her thematic activities provided by the field and the cell.
- Contribute to the definition of annual POA of countries.
- Actively collaborate with the Medical Support Officers (MSO) for retro-feeding
- Technical field visits
Strengthens the skills and competencies of MSF staff through capacity building in their domain:
- Contribution and update of online access for the field to all fundamental documents (knowledge management)
- Contribution to definition, design, implementation and/or evaluation of specific training(s) in collaboration with the Training Unit
- Contribute to the definition of job profiles and needed competencies and validates the technical skills of candidates
- Briefing and debriefing when pertinent
Develops the expertise related to their medical area and integrates external knowledge into MSF practices:
- Develop good synergies and collaborations through the coordination and animation of partnerships, the maintenance of networks, internal (Working Groups, etc.) or external to MSF; including experts, medical societies, research or scientific institutes and universities.
- Identify new cutting-edge topics in the medical humanitarian context to update OCGs health and medical ambitions.
- Overview and analyze his/her own domain through capitalization of the medical experiences
- Ensure a technical surveillance and adapt external knowledge to MSF contexts.
- Enable and contribute to high level advocacy in order to enhance chosen agendas
Supports the implementation of innovation and operational research projects:
- Properly identify MSF added-value compared with already existing resources and expertise in their medical domain, to initiate development and research projects
- Participate to the projects objectives and protocol. Define, analyze, capitalize, document, develop the internal appropriation, publish and disseminate OCG medical experience
- Guide/ ITC Catalogue participation (technical specifications)
- Market investigation and sources
- Decision local purchase
- Participation of the development and respect of the evolution of procedures to validate sources
- Cold chain breaks investigation
- Follow up UNIDATA
- Training (MedCo, Pharmacists, PPD, Pharma Network Group)
- HR (Briefing/debriefing, collaborate with pool manager on pool development)
- Support with supply issues
Quality of drugs, therapeutic food and medical devices
- Investigate, manage, communicate, follow up and record quality complaints and batch recalls
- Request and validation of Non-Standard items to ITC/DirMed
- Standardize and spread good pharmaceutical practices
- Manage and follow up the pharmacy dossier in Kompas
- Procurement alternative solutions in case of drug shortages
- Support and enforce Good Distribution Practices
Field visit according all the different aspects above
As from 2019, specific support to the following countries (this list may be subject to change according to needs)
- Cameroun; Eswatini (Swaziland); Guatemala; Honduras; Iraq; Lebanon; Mexico; Mozambique; Nigeria; RDC; Syria; Tanzania
- Diploma in pharmacy is mandatory.
- Specialization and strong experience (at least 3 years)
- Field and/or HQ experience with MSF or medical organisation.
- Knowledge of recent developments in the field of humanitarian relief, international public health and tropical medicine.
- Experience with field research in resource poor settings is an asset
- Proven affinity with advocacy
- Team collaboration
- Good analytical and synthesis skills
- Results, innovation and quality oriented
- Problem solving and service oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills, team spirit, networking and communication skills
- Able to travel
- Good working knowledge in English and French
Terms of Employment
- Fixed-termcontract(9 months), part-time position (65% HQ, 35% Field)
- Based in Geneva
- Starting date: 07.10.2019
- Gross monthly salary: CHF 8’168.- to CHF 9’311.- (salary commensurate with experience and internal salary grid)
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or in English. Closing date for application is 15th September 2019.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Médecins Sans Frontières / Ärzte Ohne Grenzen
Monsieur Sinh Pham
Rue de Lausanne 78