Location: Baden, Aargau, Switzerland
Job Function: Legal Affairs / Compliance
Job Reference Code: CH72183811
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
Committed to strengthening our IP team in Baden, Switzerland, we are currently looking to attract a Senior Counsel who will develop, align and execute an IP strategy while partnered with the Business in concert with the relevant technology roadmap on ABB Group, Divisions, and Business Lines (BLs) as well as across the different organizational layers, including CHTET (technology company of ABB) and Technology Ventures. You lead and ensure cultural change from local to global approach and mindset for IP activities and operations. You develop, lead and counsel on key technology, intra-company, extra-company, and start-up technology venture IP activity including contracts, licensing, monetization and partnering. You build-up an IP portfolio as a strategic, value-based asset and be a valued business partner to the assigned client base. Do you combine a high customer focus with commitment, professionalism and integrity? Let’s write the future. Together.
- Lead and execute the intellectual property (IP) legal strategy for assigned technology, R&D, and venture projects including but not limited to CHTET contracts, relationships and activities, as may be assigned across the Business base. Architect a portfolio development and management practice for building and operating a strong, valued IP portfolio and a set of formalized processes making for efficient and effective contracts, term templates, creative agreements, partnerships, licensing and monetization, web presence and venture relationships
- Align activities and execution with ABB Group Strategy and verticals, work within the directed scope of activities assigned by management, and ensure that all Business Lines associated with the assigned activity areas are properly aligned and their portfolios, processes and standards are consistent with, business, technology and geographic needs
- Develop an IP strategy that is based on mid- and long-term business trends and provides ABB with current and future competitive advantages, covering comprehensively the developing business operations (be ahead of time) as well as developing trends in shared technology development, utilization and business practices, globally
- Provide education, webinars, and other communications to further educate the technology community on practices associated with a world class IP operating system all the while communicating extensively and transparently to the client base
- Provide, early and often, pro-active IP counseling with peers, colleagues and internal clients as well as transparency in activities and communication between IP and various business interfaces, while providing timely delivery of excellent work product and associated escalation of top IP issues as appropriate
- Improve and update IP internal processes and tools: ensure that adequate processes and tools for handling IP issues are in place for Innovation/venture-based activities; create and deliver routine reporting of these activities as assigned; work closely with data analytics teams and colleagues to deliver world class outcomes
- Ensure that appropriate and adequate IP protection is actively and consistently pursued, support all functions/people involved in extracting value from IP assets, including licensing, cross licensing, legal enforcements; conduct FTO, prior art searches, competitive assessments, contract negotiations, open source software engagements, invention review teams, and provide risk-mitigated legal decisions, opinion and positions timely and with full integrity
- Ensure that IP threats are properly evaluated and managed, terms are effectively updated and reflect appropriate risk appetites, and all deals/contracts/relationships are handled with appropriate speed, depth and detail; coordinate, support and give guidance in identifying proper countermeasures to face and solve or mitigate risks and liabilities
- Lead portfolio management of assigned Innovation/venture activities and maintain a business operation effect to workstream, ensuring that IP portfolios are globally managed, strategically developed, and aligned with the business goals; support or lead teams to deliver on goals
- Support various CoE teams and various Business Lines; be the primary POC for key issues and budgets as assigned, as well as implementation, for such matters
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to think strategically
- Certified professional qualifications, USPTO admitted; at least one state licensed in good standing
- Prior proven successes in all aspects of IP analysis, innovation development, and early risk mitigation
- Strong familiarity with licensing, contract negotiations, digital and software technologies, wireless and platform configurations, blockchain, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, etc.
- Extensive complex contract, venture and M&A prior experiences and successes; expertise in contract management, negotiations and world class processes associated with Innovation and Venture activities
- Expertise in managing projects of a cross-functional nature, involving multi-jurisdictional issues in the high-tech field
- IP direct professional experience (drafting, prosecuting, conflicts, M&A, negotiations) in national and international environments, management experience, working experiences in different multicultural, contexts
- Prior management of attorneys in a EU country setting – highly desired
- Technology areas of strength should include turbocharging, machine and factory automation, industrial automation and controls, robotics, etc.
- Leadership mentality with daily engagement for delivering and performing individually as well as in teams
- Fluency in English required; additional language preferences include: German
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Interested in joining our team? If so, we look forward to receiving your full application (motivation letter, CV, references) only via our online careers tool. A better world begins with you at abb.com/careers
ABB Switzerland Ltd.
Phone +41 79 627 45 23
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in power grids, electrification products, industrial automation and robotics and motion, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization with two clear value propositions: bringing electricity from any power plant to any plug and automating industries from natural resources to finished products. As title partner in ABB Formula E, the fully electric international FIA motorsport class, ABB is pushing the boundaries of e-mobility to contribute to a sustainable future. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees, thereof 6,000 in Switzerland. abb.com