Location: Baden, Aargau, Switzerland
Job Function: Legal Affairs / Compliance
Job Reference Code: CH72183766
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
Committed to strengthening our IP team in Baden, Switzerland, we are currently looking to attract a Digital IP Counsel who develops, aligns and executes an IP strategy while partnered with the Business in concert with the relevant technology roadmap on ABB Group, Divisions, and Business Lines as well as across the different organizational layers. You lead and ensure cultural change from local to global approach and mindset for IP activities and operations. Furthermore, you build up an IP portfolio as a strategic, value-based asset and you will be a valued business partner to the assigned client base. Are you a proactive professional with the determination and expertise needed to drive our business forward? Let’s write the future. Together.
- Lead and execute the intellectual property (IP) legal strategy for assigned Digital, software and Artificial Intelligence (AI) endeavors across the assigned client Business base. Architect a portfolio are development and management practice for building and operating a strong, valued IP portfolio
- Align activities and execution with ABB Group Strategy and verticals, work within the directed scope of activities assigned by management, and ensure that all Business Lines associated with Digital activity are properly aligned and their portfolios consistent with, business-, technology- and geographic needs
- Develop an IP strategy that is based on mid- and long-term business trends and provides ABB with current and future competitive advantages, covering comprehensively the developing business operations (be ahead of time)
- Provide education, webinars, and other communications to further educate the technology community on practices associated with a world class IP operating system
- Provide, early and often, proactive IP counseling with peers, colleagues and internal clients as well as transparency in activities and communication between IP and various business interfaces, while providing timely delivery of excellent work product and associated escalation of top IP issues as appropriate
- Improve and update IP internal processes and tools: ensure that adequate processes and tools for handling IP issues are in place for Digital based activities; create and deliver routine reporting of Digital activities as assigned; work closely with data analytics teams to deliver world class outcomes
- IP protection and exploitation: ensure that adequate IP protection is actively and consistently pursued, support all functions/people involved in extracting value from IP assets, including licensing, cross licensing, legal enforcements; conduct FTO, prior art searches, competitive assessments, contract negotiations, open source software engagements, invention review teams, and provide risk-mitigated legal decisions, opinion and positions timely and with full integrity
- IP defense and risks management: ensure that IP threats are properly evaluated and managed; coordinate, support and give guidance in identifying proper countermeasures to face and solve or mitigate risks and liabilities
- IP portfolio management: lead portfolio management activities in assigned areas, ensuring that IP portfolios are globally managed, strategically developed, and aligned with the business goals; support or lead teams to deliver on goals
- Support the CoE team for Digital Innovation and various Business Lines across multiple Businesses to account for digital transformation and IP needs, strategy and performance; be the primary POC for key issues and budgets as assigned, as well as implementation, for such matters
- 5+ years of experience required
- Ability to think strategically
- Certified professional qualifications, USPTO admitted; at least one state licensed in good standing
- Prior proven successes in all aspects of IP analysis, innovation development, and early risk mitigation
- Strong familiarity with licensing, contract negotiations, digital and software technologies, wireless and platform configurations, blockchain, artificial intelligence, virtual reality
- Exposure to anti-counterfeiting of interest
- Leadership mentality with daily commitment for delivering and performing individually as well as in teams
- IP direct professional experience (drafting, prosecuting, conflicts, M&A, negotiations) in national and international environments, management experience, working experience in different multicultural contexts
- Fluent in English
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Interested in joining our team? If so, we look forward to receiving your full application (motivation letter, CV, references) only via our online careers tool. A better world begins with you at abb.com/careers
ABB Switzerland Ltd.
Phone +41 79 627 45 23
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in power grids, electrification products, industrial automation and robotics and motion, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization with two clear value propositions: bringing electricity from any power plant to any plug and automating industries from natural resources to finished products. As title partner in ABB Formula E, the fully electric international FIA motorsport class, ABB is pushing the boundaries of e-mobility to contribute to a sustainable future. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees, thereof 6,000 in Switzerland. abb.com