The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Large Research Facilities Division we are looking for aTraineeKey RF technology developments and beam dynamic simulation for the PSI linacsYour tasksYou will participate in the study of the new RF waveguide network concept and its RF components such as pulse compressor, phase shifter and variable power divider. You will be directly involved in the RF design of these RF devices and their engineering. The RF design will be performed with electromagnetic codes based on finite element method using optimization procedures. In addition, a study of beam dynamics with a tracking code will also be performed with the aim of defining a basic scheme for bunching and accelerator systems and an optimization of the electron beam parameters to keep a reasonable beam quality at the linac end.Your profile
- Student in particle accelerator physics, electrical engineering or similar and you are at least in your penultimate year of undergraduate study (minimum 4 semesters)
- You are familiar with mathematical and numerical methods for physical modelling
- Interested in working with electromagnetic and multi-particle tracking codes
- Open-minded, communicative person and enjoy working in an international team
- You have not yet completed your Master’s thesis
We offerOur institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration.
This contract will be limited to 3 months.
For further information, please contact Dr Paolo Craievich, phone +41 56 310 24 90.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Trainee (index no. 8414-T1).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Leandra Horn, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland