Senior Legal Counsel
TOTSA TotalEnergies Trading SA
Publication date:17 Januar 2023
Place of work:Genève
Senior Legal Counsel
We are looking to hire an experienced Legal Counsel to join our Global Legal team, which provides legal support to Trading & Shipping divisions at TotalEnergies.
TotalEnergies has developed a strong expertise in oil and biofuels, natural gas and electricity trading. Trading entities are based in Geneva, Paris, Houston and Singapore.
TotalEnergies installed its European trading hub in Geneva, which now bring together very large teams around trading activities: TotalEnergies Trading & Shipping (T&S) and TotalEnergies Gas and Power (TGP).
T&S is the trading company in charge of all physical trading and shipping of crude oil and refined products including biofuels on behalf of the TotalEnergies. It has been a major and active participant all over the supply chain as well as on the derivatives paper market in order to manage market risk.
What you will do
As Senior Legal Counsel, you will be based in Geneva to closely work with trading teams and support functions, ensuring that the company is able to achieve its commercial objectives in compliance with laws and regulations, properly managing and minimising legal risks, and providing solution-oriented legal services: practical, commercial, timely and cost effective.
Your missions would typically include the following:
- Assist internal clients (including traders, new ventures team, credit team) in commercial and contractual negotiations with third parties;
- Provide legal services and advise on the legal issues relating primarily to T&S’ trading activities and related corporate activities (governance, company management, procurement...);
- Advise on legal risks and minimise their impact for the business;
- Assist in the management of legal disputes for the Company and advise on the risks and outcomes (litigation, arbitration, mediation);
- Monitors and advises on the applicable laws for the business, and changes to those laws, in relevant jurisdictions.
- When necessary attend legal and industry working groups to assess industry changes;
- Assist in the instruction of external counsel and actively monitor and minimise external legal costs.
- From time to time will be required to provide legal assistance in other areas of the business: IT, labour, insurance or other key business areas of the Company as they evolve.
We are committed to meet the energy needs of a growing population and we are committed to the energy transition. The volatility of the energy trading markets requires excellence in risk management and a culture of innovation. We are fully embracing the digital revolution.
Our people flourish in an environment that promotes expertise, entrepreneurship spirit, agility and a purpose-driven culture, generating boundless opportunities to learn, grow and achieve collaborative success.
Reinforcing the competencies of our people is a key pillar of our culture: we train our people to ensure their development and we pledge to encourage safety in all our actions.
We look for passion, ambition and open-mindedness. While we evolve in a demanding industry that requests to be always on the edge, we cultivate a friendly workplace where our people feel good, where team spirit and respect guide our daily routine, where the diversity of our people and their skills create a nourishing experience for all of us.