The British School of Geneva / ISP
Purpose of Role
The British School of Geneva seeks a suitably qualified School Counsellor who is based in Switzerland (or with current Work Permits living in France) for a Part-Time - 50% role starting from December 1st 2023.
British School of Geneva / ISP Principles
We work each day and in combination with each other to support each of the students in becoming Successful Learners, Confident Individuals and Responsible Citizens.
We begin with our children and students. Our children and students are at the heart of what we do. Simply, their success is our success. Wellbeing and safety are both essential for learners and learning. Therefore, we are consistent in identifying potential safeguarding issues and acting and following up on all concerns appropriately.
We treat everyone with care and respect. We look after one another, embrace similarities and differences and promote the well-being of self and others.
We operate effectively. We focus relentlessly on the things that are most important and will make the most difference. We apply school policies and procedures and embody the shared ideas of our community.
We Learn continuously. Getting better is what drives us. We positively engage with personal and professional development and school improvement.
School Counsellor / Head of Pastoral Care
The specific role is: 50% Contract : School Counsellor : This is a Half Time, Shared position.
- Designated Safeguarding Lead role (Subject to relevant experience)
- Provide effective care for the welfare, wellbeing of the students of age 5-18
- Provide a space for student to work out how to navigate through their challenges and a space where they can address their concerns
- Work with teachers through observation and strategy development to ensure effective systems are in place to support student’s social and emotional needs
- Provide individual meetings to students and parents
- Liaise with teachers, Head of Sections and with external agencies
- Have a working knowledge of local mental health agencies and social services
- Act as a source of support, advice and expertise to staff on matters of safeguarding and mental health
The person Specification for this role is:
- Fluent in English and in French
- Being able to recognise signs and behaviours that indicate a mental health need
- Being able to handle emotional issues and appropriately in crisis situation
- Prior experience working in a school is an advantage
- Being able to assess children at risk and to work out the appropriate support programme
- Excellent communication skills to be able to connect with children, teenagers and their families, as well as colleagues
- Being able to work autonomously and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise
- Excellent communication skills, particularly the ability to communicate with children of different ages and from varied cultural backgrounds
- Being empathetic and approachable for students and colleagues.
An appropriate Qualification in Psychology and relevant prior working experience working with children and adolescents in a school setting is an advantage. Prior experience working in an English School setting is also desirable.
As a teacher or Counsellor at the British School of Geneva and working within an ISP School, we are focused on the quality of learning experience of each of our students. Therefore, we seek creative teachers who can deliver diverse lessons tailored to the needs of the students within each class group. We expect our teachers to demonstrate:
- Collaboration. Takes an active part in school; is cooperative and a genuine team player, developing positive, supportive relationships with colleagues to solve problems and maximise opportunities.
- Learning & Getting Better. Continually demonstrates personal commitment and passion for learning and getting better using evidence and feedback; supporting others in their continual learning, development and growth.
- Innovative. Is good at creating an environment where ideas for learning are generated and is able to motivate and inspire others through the process of creation through to completion.
- Outcome driven. Can be counted on to find solutions. Is consistently looking to exceed goals and is focused on KPIs.
- Resilience. Can deal with setbacks and challenges calmly and effectively.
- Community Focus. Is committed to meeting and exceeding the needs and expectations of our students and their families.
- Integrity & Ethical. Has the ability to work ethically and with integrity; helps others feel valued; upholds and models the BSG / ISP Vision, Purpose and Principles.
- Diversity & Equity. Has the sensitivity, awareness and skill to understand the values, behaviours, attitudes and practices across cultures that supports all children and adults to learn and work effectively.
The British School of Geneva / ISP Commitment to Safeguarding Principles
ISP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and satisfactory Criminal Background Checks or equivalent covering the previous 10 years’ employment history.
95A avenue de Châtelaine 1219 Châtelaine