Officer in the Secretary-General's Office
European Free Trade Association (EFTA)Geneva
Publication date:09 March 2023
Do you want to be a part of an ambitious international organisation working for the promotion of free trade and economic integration? The European Free Trade Association (EFTA) offers the opportunity for a motivated and highly skilled professional to join the Secretary-General's Office in Geneva.
EFTA is an intergovernmental organisation working for the promotion of free trade and economic integration to the benefit of its four Member States: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The EFTA Secretariat provides services to the EFTA States and has offices in Geneva, Brussels and Luxemburg. The Headquarters in Geneva services the EFTA Council and provides services for policy development, negotiations and implementation of free trade and cooperation agreements with countries outside the European Union. The Brussels office supports the management of the EEA Agreement. EFTA’s Luxembourg office contributes to the development of the European statistical system.
Secretary-General’s Office (SGO)
Type/Duration of Appointment
Fixed term three years. An additional three-year contract may be offered if in the interest of the organisation.
1 August 2023
The Secretary-General’s Office of the EFTA Secretariat services the EFTA Council and provides support and advice to the Secretary-General. It coordinates various horizontal activities in the Secretariat and provides legal advice, as well as statistical and economic analysis in support of free trade negotiations and policy development. SGO also manages the Secretariat’s information and communication activities.
The vacant position’s core responsibility will be to provide services to the EFTA Council and its substructures, in particular the organisation and preparation of Council meetings, both at ambassadorial and ministerial level. This includes logistical aspects and coordination with Member States and colleagues in the Secretariat, as well as the preparation of meeting documentation such as agendas, reports and background documents and notes. Oversight of the Council’s archives including public access requests and the provision of information on its work on the EFTA website forms part of the role.
The successful applicant may also be assigned other tasks in the Secretariat.
- University degree in law, economics, political science or related fields;
- Excellent organisational skills and keen attention to detail;
- Ability to work autonomously under pressure and conform to deadlines;
- Excellent ability to draft texts correctly, concisely and clearly in English;
- Service-mindedness and proactive approach;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Several years of relevant work experience, preferably in a national administration or international organisation;
- Knowledge of European integration and international trade;
- Working knowledge of German, French, Norwegian or Icelandic would be an asset.
EFTA has a dynamic and diverse work environment with the opportunity to work in a team of highly qualified people. Here you will be part of an organisation based on professionalism, cooperation, trust, responsibility and respect.
EFTA also offers:
- International career and learning opportunities.
- An inclusive environment with high regard for cultural differences.
- Competitive benefit package (salaries are normally exempt from income taxation; additional benefits and allowances may apply).
Annual salary: CHF 164,254
Appointments are normally made at the first step of the grade. The Secretary-General reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level different from that advertised. Through its recruitment policy, the EFTA Secretariat wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
This position is open to EFTA nationals (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland). Applicants must apply via the EFTA e-recruitment tool: https://jobs.efta.int/home.html
Please note that only applications received via our web tool will be considered.
For further information on this post, please contact:
Mr Frank J. Büchel, Deputy Secretary-General & Director - Secretary-General's Office, Write an email, tel. +41 22 332 26 04
Ms Inga Hanna Gudmundsdottir, Head of HR, Write an email, tel. +32 2 286 17 06
Technical issues: HR Support, Write an email
Deadline for applications: 26 March 2023
- Inga Hanna Gudmundsdottir
European Free Trade Association (EFTA)